Month: July 2018

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM WEDNESDAY 1ST, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley

SYNOPSIS: A surface high pressure will generate a moderate to fresh wind flow across the region. Moisture embedded in the trade wind flow could trigger few passing showers across the islands.

WEATHER TODAY: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent or slight chance of showers.

WEATHER TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 20 percent or slight chance of showers.

WINDS: East to east southeast 22 to 33 km/h or 12 to 18knots.

SEAS: Moderate with significant wave heights 1.5 to 1.8 metres or 5 to 6 feet. Small craft operators should exercise caution.

SUNSET TODAY: 6:42 pm SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:50 am

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM TUESDAY JULY 31ST, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley
SYNOPSIS: Moderate to fresh breeze associated with the Atlantic High pressure system will prevail across the area. Shallow pockets of moisture caught in this wind flow could see the occasional quick passing odd shower. WEATHER TODAY: Partly sunny with a 20 percent or a slight chance of showers.
WEATHER TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent or a low chance of showers. WINDS: Easterly with speeds ranging between 22 to 33 km/h or 12 to 18 knots. SEAS: Moderate with significant wave heights of 1.5 to 2.1 metres or 5 to 7 feet. A small craft advisory remains in effect particularly for coastal waters on the eastern side of the islands. SUNSET TODAY: 6:42 pm. SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:50 am.

MONTSERRAT VOLCANO OBSERVATORY (MVO) WEEKLY REPORT FOR THE PERIOD JULY 20TH TO JULY 27TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley
Activity at the Soufrière Hills Volcano remains low. The seismic network recorded five volcano-tectonic earthquakes this week.
There have been no measurements of the SO2 flux to report since 30 May. Data from the new permanent gas-monitoring stations, which are currently being tested, indicate that the flux remains in the range 100 to 400 tonnes per day. Pyroclastic flows can occur at any time without warning on any side of the volcano, including Gages from where they can travel rapidly into Plymouth. Tracks across the Belham Valley can be destroyed or heavily modified by flash flooding or lahars, and caution should be exercised crossing the valley during and after rainfall. The Hazard Level is 1. There is no public access to Zone V, including Plymouth. Maritime Zones E and W are daytime transit only between sunrise and sunset (boats may sail through the zone but must not stop). Anyone who ignores these restrictions is liable to be prosecuted.

HERE’S THE LOCAL MARINE WEATHER FOR MONTSERRAT FROM MONDAY JULY 30TH, 2018 TO SUNDAY AUGUST 5TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley
Monday July 30th, 2018  6AM 6PM Seas.. are 4 to 5 (Tropical Wave) 4 to 5 feet high. Winds.. are North-easterly @ 16+ E @16 MPH. Skies.. Cloudy, with an early morning shower, Sunny PM..
Tuesday July 31st, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 4 to 5 4 to 5 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 16 E @16 MPH. Skies.. mainly Sunny. Wednesday August 1st, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 3 to 4 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 to 16 E @ 8 to 12 MPH. Skies.. Partly Sunny AM. SUNNY PM. Thursday August 2nd, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 3 to 4' 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 E @ 12 MPH. Skies.. Sunny, cloudy in PM with an overnight shower. Friday August 3rd, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 3 to 4 ' (Tropical Wave) 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 to 16 E @ 12 MPH. Skies.. Partly SUNNY . Saturday August 4th, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 3 to 4 4 to 5 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 to 16 NE @12 to 16 MPH. Skies.. AM Shower and Sunny PM, with overnight showers. Sunday August 5th, 2018 6AM 6PM Seas.. are 3 to 4' 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 16 to 20 E @16 to 20 MPH. Skies.. Partly Cloudy.

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM SATURDAY JULY 28TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley
SYNOPSIS: Inspite of the presence of an upper level trough over the region low moisture at the lower levels of the atmosphere will continue to restrict shower activity across the islands. WEATHER TODAY: Partly sunny with a 30 percent or low chance of showers.
WEATHER TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with a 30 percent or low chance of showers. WINDS: Easterly at 15 to 28 km/h or 08 to 15 knots.. SEAS: Moderate, significant wave heights 1.5 to 1.8 metres or 5 to 6 feet. Small craft operators should continue to exercise caution in the waters east of the island.. SUNSET TODAY: 6:43 pm. SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:49 am. Please continue to monitor ZJB Radio, DMCA’s website at www.dmca.gov.ms and Facebook at Montserrat Disaster Management Coordination Agency-DMCA for regular updates.

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM FRIDAY JULY 27TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley

SYNOPSIS: The presence of a relatively strong high pressure ridge as well as low moisture levels in the atmosphere across the area will continue to restrict meaningful shower activity over and around the islands today and tonight.

WEATHER TODAY: Partly sunny and hazy conditions, with a 20 percent or slight chance of a brief passing shower.

WEATHER TONIGHT: Fair to partly cloudy skies with a 20 percent or slight chance of a late night shower.

WINDS: East at 22 to 33 km/h or 12 to 18 knots with higher gusts over open waters..

SEAS: Moderate, with significant wave heights 1.5 to 1.8 metres or 5 to 6 feet. Small craft operators and sea bathers should continue to exercise caution..

SUNSET TODAY:6:44 PM SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:49 am.

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM THURSDAY JULY 26TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley

SYNOPSIS: A weak tropical wave will move across the area today. Moisture associated with the wave will increase the chance of showers across the islands for today and to a lesser extent tonight.

WEATHER TODAY: Cloudy spells with a 60 percent or moderate chance of showers. tonight:

WEATHER TONIGHT: Partly cloudy with few cloudy periods and 30 percent or low chance of showers.

WINDS: East 19 to 33 km/h or 10-18 knots.

SEAS: Moderate with significant wave heights 1.5 to 2.1 metres or 5 to 7 feet. Small craft advisory is in effect..

SUNSET TODAY: 6:44 pm SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:48 am.

Please continue to monitor ZJB Radio, DMCA’s website at www.dmca.gov.ms and Facebook at Montserrat Disaster Management Coordination Agency-DMCA for regular updates.

TODAY’S LOCAL WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONTSERRAT VALID UP TO 8 AM TUESDAY JULY 24TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley

SYNOPSIS: A tropical wave is approaching the Islands. It will increase the chances for cloudiness and showers today and tonight. WEATHER TODAY: Partly cloudy to cloudy with a 40 percent or moderate chance of showers.  WEATHER TONIGHT: Partly cloudy to cloudy with a 60 percent or moderate chance of showers. WINDS: Southeast at 15 to 28 km/h or 8 to 15 knots. SEAS: Moderate with significant wave heights 1.5 metres or 5 feet. SUNSET TODAY: 6:44 pm. SUNRISE TOMORROW: 5:48 am. Please continue to monitor ZJB Radio, DMCA’s website at www.dmca.gov.ms and Facebook at Montserrat Disaster Management Coordination Agency-DMCA for regular updates.

HERE’S THE LOCAL MARINE WEATHER FOR MONTSERRAT FROM MONDAY JULY 23RD, 2018 TO SUNDAY JULY 29TH, 2018

by Shirlian Queeley
Monday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 4 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 E @12 MPH. Skies.. mainly Cloudy, with an early morning shower..
Tuesday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 4 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 to 16 E @12 MPH. Skies.. mainly cloudy as a Tropical Wave goes thru. Wednesday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 4 3 feet high. Winds.. are East-south-easterly @ 12 E @12 MPH. Skies.. Partly Sunny AM. SUNNY PM. a Tropical Wave passing in the PM. Thursday. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 4' 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 @ 8 to 12 MPH. Skies.. Early morning shower, Sunny, with an overnight shower. Friday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 4 ' 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 E @12 to 16 MPH. Skies.. Early morning shower, SUNNY. Saturday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3' to 4 3 to 4 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 E @12 MPH. Skies.. Partly Sunny most of the day. Sunday.. 6AM 6PM. Seas.. are 3 to 5' 4 to 5 feet high. Winds.. are Easterly @ 12 to 16 @15 to 20 MPH. Skies.. Cloudy.

MONTSERRAT VOLCANO OBSERVATORY (MVO) WEEKLY REPORT FOR THE PERIOD JULY 13TH TO 20TH 2018

by Shirlian Queeley

The seismic network recorded one volcano-tectonic earthquake this week.

There have been no measurements of the SO2 flux to report since 30 May.

Pyroclastic flows can occur at any time without warning on any side of the volcano, including Gages from where they can travel rapidly into Plymouth. Tracks across the Belham Valley can be destroyed or heavily modified by flash flooding or lahars, and caution should be exercised crossing the valley during and after rainfall.

The Hazard Level is 1. There is no public access to Zone V, including Plymouth. Maritime Zones E and W are daytime transit only between sunrise and sunset (boats may sail through the zone but must not stop). Anyone who ignores these restrictions is liable to be prosecuted.